**Results and experiences can vary**
Associates MD provides complete cardiac clearances which include an appointment with our cardiologist, lab work, electrocardiogram, and x-rays. We can facilitate appointments to get all you need done at our locations in Davie or Plantation. Results will normally generate in 24-48 hours depending on the testing ordered. Results are then sent directly over to the referring physician or attorney.
Patients Requiring Pre-Operative Cardiac Clearance
- All patients undergoing plastic surgery
- Patients with complex medical history
- Patients with history of heart disease including CABG, coronary stents, peripheral arterial or vascular disease, CVA, stroke, previous MI
- Patients with co-morbidities including hypertension, obesity, diabetes, COPD, sleep apnea, dyslipidemia
- Patients with history of cardiac complications with anesthesia
- Patients undergoing complex, high-risk surgical procedures
- Patients with uncontrolled diabetes
- Cardiology consultation
- Holter Monitor
- EKG / ECG interpretation
- Stress test
- Nuclear Stress Test
- Carotid Sonograms
- Event Monitor
Pre-operative Patient Questionnaire
- The patient would be asked about his age. Some studies found a small increased risk of surgery with advanced age of the patient. The mortality rate for most surgical procedures increases linearly with age due to increasing numbers of co morbidities with advancing age.
- The patient would be asked if he had a history of:
- Heart diseases, irregular heartbeat, murmurs or rheumatic fever as a child.
- Pulmonary diseases, such as asthma, bronchitis, or emphysema.
- Chest pain, angina, or chest tightness.
- Hypertension or hypotension.
- Shortness of breath, cough.
- Liver diseases, jaundice or hepatitis.
- Gastrointestinal problems or indigestion.
- Thyroid problems.
- Kidney problems.
- Weakness or numbness in the extremities.
- Seizures or blackouts.
- Bleeding disorders.
- Blood clotting abnormality.
- Arthritis or joint pain.
- The patient would be asked about:
- Any allergies for food or medication.
- A list of any medications he is currently taking, including over-the-counter medications and steroidal compounds. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are associated with: an increased risk of perioperative bleeding.
- Any other medical conditions in the past.
- Any previous surgeries or anesthesia.
- Pregnancy state.
- Any problems with a previous surgery due to anesthesia.
- The patient would be asked about his height and weight.
- The patient would be asked about his exercise capacity.
- The patient would be asked if he smokes cigarettes, how many packs per day and for how many years.
- The patient would be asked if he drinks alcohol. There is increased risk for postoperative complications in patients who misuse alcohol on a regular basis.
- The patient would be asked about his family history.