AssociatesMD is pleased to announce that we now offer immigration physicals. Our provider, Carlos Levy, D.O. is a US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Designated Civil Surgeon and has years of experience with these examinations. We do all the necessary testing on site and have most of the required vaccines in our office.
What is an immigration physical?
If you or your family are applying for citizenship, seeking Permanent Residency or a Green Card you are required to obtain an immigration physical prior to approval of your application. A medical examination is also necessary as a part of the application process for an alien applying for adjustment of status. The purpose of the medical examination is to evaluate the applicant’s health status and to determine if they have any conditions that might preclude a change in status. The results of the examination will be provided to an Immigration officer and may also be shared with health departments and other public health or cooperating medical authorities.
It is mandatory that immigration physicals are completed by a Designated Civil Surgeon so the exam is valid.
The examination will last between 30 minutes to 1 hour.The results are recorded on federally designated forms. The green card medical exam requirements are determined by the age of the applicant and the completeness of his/her immunization record.
An adult examination (15 years or older) typically consists of the following:
- A physical examination
- A tuberculin skin test (TST) is required for all persons 2 years or older to check for current or prior tuberculosis (TB) infection. After the skin test is applied you must return to clinic in 48-72 hours for it to be read.All applicants with abnormal (“positive”) skin test results will need to have a chest x-ray performed. Similarly, a chest x-ray will be required if you have a history of prior TB infection or a history of a positive TB skin test. Many applicants have received BCG vaccination in their home country, but a skin test and/or chest X-ray will still be required.
- A blood test for syphilis (RPR)
- Immunization shots – Please bring proof of immunization record or Titer testing. If not reliably documented, adults will need vaccination for chickenpox (varicella), measles, mumps & rubella (MMR), and tetanus-diphtheria (Td) which can be done at your visit. You cannot receive MMR or chickenpox vaccine if you are pregnant or plan to get pregnant in the next month. In the event you need vaccination, we can test you for pregnancy and provide you with almost immediate results.
A pediatric examination (children 14 years of age or younger) does not require blood testing and typically consists of the following:
- A physical examination
- A TB skin test (see above)
- A review and update of routine pediatric immunizations.
What to Bring
Please bring the following items with you on the day of your examination for each applicant:
Passport (we will make a copy, and immediately return the original to you)
- INS Form I-693 (please complete the top section of all forms)
- Supplemental Form To I-693 (Adjustment of Status Applicant’s Documentation of Immunization)
- A list of current medications
- Immunization records for each family member seeking entry. This is especially important for pre-school and school-age children.
Typically, you will be notified of the results of your lab work (and chest x-ray, if done) within 48 – 72 hours. Your results will be documented on INS Form I-693 and placed in a sealed and signed envelope.
You must give this to your attorney or directly to the USCIS. If you have a health condition that requires medical follow-up, clearance will not be granted until follow-up is completed.
You will be responsible for the cost of any additional medical examinations or treatments required to fulfill the federal health requirements established by the USCIS.
Translator if Needed:
If medical records are not in English please have them translated before presenting for Medical visit. Applicants who do not speak English will be provided with a translation service at an additional cost. Please let us know if this is required when the appointment is booked.