Be a hero. A real hero. Wear a Mask!
Wear a mask, be a hero, stop the spread of COVID-19.
Like Paul Revere’s famous ride, that’s the cry “heard round the world. We have now joined the ranks of fictional heroes who wear masks to protect their character’s secret identities. Now, we are the heroes wearing iconic masks of protection.
Choosing a Mask
We have been bombarded with mask wearing information to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19. Should you wear a mask, don’t wear a mask, wear a disposal mask, wear a cotton reusable mask, and what about an N95 mask? It’s enough to make you dizzy.
Here’s what AssociatesMD wants you to know:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recommended that even seemingly healthy people wear masks over their mouths and noses when venturing out of their homes into public places. And, both Broward County and Fort Lauderdale have adopted this recommendation.
Choose a Cloth or Paper Mask, or Facial Covering
You want to choose either a cloth or paper mask facial covering. You can buy them, or you can make your own by following the these tips: CDC -Make your own cloth face coverings or view this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx1yqvJgf4
You do not need a N95 particle respirator mask and surgical masks as these are used by health care professionals.
Masks 101: How to Put On/Take Off
Now that you know what type of mask to choose, you need to ensure you are putting it on and removing it.
How to Put the Mask On
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Dry your hands with a clean paper towel.
- Check the mask for any defects such as a tear or missing tie or ear loop.
- Make sure the exterior side of the mask is facing out, away from your face.
- Place the mask on your face with the blue side facing out and the stiff, bendable edge at the top by your nose.
- If the mask has ear loops, put one loop around each ear.
- If the mask has ties, pick up the mask by the ties and tie the upper ties behind your head with a bow.
- Once the mask is in place, use your index finger and thumb to pinch the bendable top edge of the mask around the bridge of your nose.
- If the mask has a lower tie, then once the mask is fitted to the bridge of your nose, tie the lower ties behind your head with a bow.
- Make sure the mask is completely secure.
- Wash your hands.
Removing the Mask
- Wash your hands before removing the mask.
- Do not touch the inside of the mask (the part over nose and mouth). It may be contaminated from your breathing, coughing or sneezing.
- Untie or remove the ear loops and remove the mask by the straps.
- If you use a paper mask, throw it in the trash. If you are using a reusable cloth mask, at the end of the day, take the mask off from the straps (not touching the front), place in a pillowcase to keep the ties with the mask. Wash it in the washing machine with hot water and completely dry on medium or high heat.
- Wash your hands.
Your trusted physicians at AssociatesMD know these unprecedented times are challenging. Your health remains our number one priority and we are steadfast in our commitment to you, our valued patient. Let us know how we may help you. Call us to connect at 1-844-954-DOCS.
For more than 20 years, AssociatesMD medical group’s multi-specialty physicians have cared for patients in locations throughout Broward with unwavering compassion and uncompromised dedication to excellence. AssociatesMD, now provides telemedicine - virtual care for easy, personalized, cost effective, and timely access to quality healthcare -- AssociatesMD TeleMed™