I’m hungry, I don’t want to cook, again!
Does this sound familiar? After preparing and serving nearly 90 meals in the last month, you may be ready for takeout food?
But wait! Can you catch COVID-19 from takeout food?
The risk of contracting COVID-19 through food delivery or pickup — the packaging or the food itself — is low.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) while COVID-19 can theoretically be transmitted by touching a contaminated surface and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes, that's not thought to be its primary mode of transmission.
Further, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that retail food stores, restaurants, and food pick-up and delivery services continue to follow best practices for food preparation. The FDA has produced updated guidance on food safety and COVID-19. The only significant change from standing guidance before the pandemic is the recommendation from the FDA to maintain a 6-foot distance between food workers when possible, to reduce the risk of transmission among them.
Here’s some helpful guidelines AssociatesMD physicians want you to know about food safety and COVID-19.
Food delivery and curbside pickup
- The CDC says there is little risk of COVID-19 transmission through food.
- For delivery and takeout, follow social-distancing practices – wear a mask, wash your hands.
Food and Drink Packaging
- Packaging also poses little risk.
- Wipe down the packages before opening with a disinfectant wipe.
- Wash your hands after opening and handling packages.
Designate a “take-out” family member
- Minimize the risk to your family members by designating the same person for pickup each time.
- Wash hands carefully when exiting and returning home.
- Carefully put on and remove facial coverings.
- Remove shoes when re-entering the home.
Finally, if you are able to walk to your neighborhood eatery, you will get the benefit of a healthy activity, too, while curbing the isolation from staying safer at home. In the face of these extraordinary times, your AssociatesMD physicians want to ensure you are staying safe and eating healthy.
Your trusted physicians at AssociatesMD know these unprecedented times are challenging. Your health remains our number one priority and we are steadfast in our commitment to you, our valued patient. Let us know how we may help you. Call us to connect at 1-844-954-DOCS.
For more than 20 years, AssociatesMD medical group’s multi-specialty physicians have cared for patients in locations throughout Broward with unwavering compassion and uncompromised dedication to excellence. AssociatesMD, now provides telemedicine - virtual care for easy, personalized, cost effective, and timely access to quality healthcare -- AssociatesMD TeleMed™